From Vet Assistant to Veterinarian

Vet Med Life

Thursday, January 27, 2005

So today was basically "all neurology, all the time." A few things happened in today's lectures that, well, got me a tad upset.
  • A comment was made in regards to the cost on brain surgery for a cat that went like this: really, that much...for a cat!? I was very upset by this because I've spent~ $4,000 to save my 8 year old DMH orange tabby from the likes of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) with secondary hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver). I also just paid ~$1,200 to correct one of my other cats subluxated jaw (+ a dental prophylaxis). After talking to the person that made the comment it was clarified by the comment maker that the reason the statement was made was because the cat was quite geriatric. This made the response a little more feasible to me. A question: how do we expect to convince owners to fix their pets for exuberant amounts of money if we ourselves wouldn't be willing to do so now for our own pets (with the lack of income we have as vet students)?
  • We watched quite a few clinical cases today regarding neuro diseases in cats & dogs. Several of my classmates laughed @ one in which a cat was having a VERY BAD seizure. It was thrashing convulsively on the floor, urinating, & salivating. Yes, you may not be a cat person but what reason would one have to laugh @ such a site...especially a future veterinarian?! You may not be planning on becoming a small animal veterinarian but still, respect for the other species is warranted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home