From Vet Assistant to Veterinarian

Vet Med Life

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Illinois Senate Bill SB1790 - Breed Stereotyping

Well, I received an e-mail today about the above & it just PISSED ME OFF!!! Trust me I don't get pissed off that easily ;-) One of our state's senators has decided put together a bill that he wants to become law deeming CERTAIN BREEDS of dogs dangerous just based on their BREED!!!!! The dog may be 12 years old & not a single tooth left in her/his mouth but still needs to be registered will the state as a DANGEROUS dog; the dog's owner must pay liability insurance on the pet & have the pet registered with the State of IL as a DANGEROUS dog. The dog must wear an orange tag when in public so people know it is a DANGEROUS dog. Some people will not be surprised by some of the breeds that they list but others I'm pretty surprised @:
  1. Pit bull
  2. Rottweiler
  3. German shepherd
  4. Huskies
  5. Alaskan malamute
  6. Doberman pinscher
  7. Chow chow
  8. Great Dane
  9. St. Bernard
  10. Akita

I know some of you may think well Pit Bulls are dangerous dogs so that makes sense. I may understand your argument but don't agree with it. ALL DOGS ARE DANGEROUS! !! They are animals that have animal instincts & could easily go-off @ any time for any reason! I think that this bill that is trying to be passed as a law would be a good idea for ANY DOG/ANIMAL that has bitten another animal or human, @ least once, without just cause (i.e. wasn't provoked or isn't protecting family).

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a fan of Chow chows but I don't think they should be condemned by this law because of their breed. Pure & simple...this bill is wrong!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home